Saturday, July 31, 2010

Canon Digital Photo Professional Download - Install

I just recently took some photos with my 5DMII and created my first Lightroom 3 catalog.  As always the color profile for canon photos are just an approximation so the colors and everything is always off within lightroom.  Being disappointed I wanted to see how Canon Digital Photo Professional will render the images.  I tried to see if I had the software but unfortunately I couldn't find the CD.  I Googled around for the software but it doesn't exist.

For some reason Canon's software distribution policy only provide the full version of each software from the CD and updates are available online.  When installing the updater it will require to have the software listed like below:



There is a way to work around this issue since the updater contains the FULL software itself.  You can fool the install by updating your registry.  This registry update is a minimal risk.  Here are the task.

For 32Bit Windows (XP, Vista, and 7) - Copy the following exactly below:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\EOS Utility]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\DPP]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\ZoomBrowser EX]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\PhotoStitch
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\EOS Capture]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\EOSViewerUtility]

For 64Bit Windows (Vista, and 7) - Copy the following exactly below:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\EOS Utility]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\DPP]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\ZoomBrowser EX]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\PhotoStitch
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\EOS Capture]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\EOSViewerUtility]

Copy and paste into NotePad.  Save the file as canonupdate.txt and then rename it to canonupdate.reg.  Then right click and select "Merge" on the context menu.



You'll probably get the following messages:



Success!!



This is what your registry should look like for 32Bit Windows:



This is what your registry should look like for 64Bit Windows:



Now when you run the updater you should get the install screen like below:



The source of where this information is at the following.  I've made my own updates to the instructions because it's not too clear on the website and provided my own version of the possible solution.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/install_canon_software.html

If you run into any questions please email me and I will try to help but I hope the instructions here are complete and will work well for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment