Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Grainy - Pixelated photos on Facebook.



I haven't really notice the quality of my photos much on Facebook as they are relatively good until tonight. Every photo I uploaded was grainy and very pixelated. I knew it had something to do with the compression but not sure how to fix it. With a little search I found an easy solution.

1) Change the PPI (pixel per inch) to 120, DPI (Dot per inch) if printing
2) Change longest dimension to 720 px, the other side should be 480 px if it's 4x6 dimension



That should be it. If you have multiple images Photoshop can automate it by going to File -> Automate -> Fit Image

Now your images should look relatively decent and enough for low Rez images sharing on Facebook!



You can read a more thorough explanation here: http://www.damiensymonds.com.au/art_facebook.html

3 comments:

  1. Helpful, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am resizing my images to 72dpi. Surely this is low enough to fix pixelation, but it obviously isn't! My images on facebook are all grainy and do not look as good as the are in ps. Do you recommend the resize to be upped to 120? or are my file sizes too big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon,

    Thank you for viewing my blog. To answer your question I believe 72 ppi (pixel per inch) resolution will just degrade your image even more when you are resampling the image. Try keeping the image at 120 ppi and reduce the image size. Even then FB will still mess with your image, I haven't had the chance to play around with it more. But here are a few more tips:

    1. When uploading your image select the "High Quality" check box that appears at the bottom left. This will allow you to upload higher quality photos.
    2. The Maximum dimensions for your new image is 838 px wide and 864 px high. This is based on my current screen, it might be a tad different. I will have to test against a different monitor resolution. If it's any larger than that FB will automatically resample your image and it'll look pixelated again.

    UPDATE: Looks like I was wrong. I viewed the same image again on a higher resolution monitor and this is the image info that FB gave me:
    2,048px × 1,365px (scaled to 1,478px × 986px). So it looks like FB dynamically scales the image to the monitor screen while still maintaining the a large file size resolution albeit at 72 ppi.

    Here is the original photo info upload using "High Quality" check box.
    Width: 3600px
    Height: 2400px
    ppi: 300px

    After FB Upload:
    Widtih: 2048px
    Height: 1365px
    PPI: 72px

    I hope this gives you an idea of what FB is doing. I honestly still guarantee good image quality and always revert to posting a link to my actual website.

    Let me know if that helps and I'll try to date my post to reflect the new FB image upload changes.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete